openssh-2.9.9p2, AC_SYS_LARGEFILE, SCO, and HPUX

Paul Eggert eggert at twinsun.com
Fri Sep 28 04:03:21 EST 2001

openssh-2.9.9p2/configure.in says:

  # Disabled until it works on SCO and HPUX
  #AC_SYS_LARGEFILE

As an autoconf maintainer I'd like to fix this.  Can you please
explain what's broken on SCO and HPUX?

I'm puzzled by the comment, as AC_SYS_LARGEFILE is a feature
introduced in autoconf 2.50, whereas openssh-2.9.9p2/configure was
built with autoconf 2.13.

Anyway, some older GNU software came with implementations of
AC_SYS_LARGEFILE that had problems on HPUX, but these problems should
all be fixed in the current autoconf version.  I don't know of any SCO
problems, but I'd like to have them fixed too, if they're still there.

Thanks.