openssh-2.9.9p2, AC_SYS_LARGEFILE, SCO, and HPUX

Kevin Steves stevesk at pobox.com
Fri Sep 28 04:35:31 EST 2001

On Thu, 27 Sep 2001, Paul Eggert wrote:
:openssh-2.9.9p2/configure.in says:
:
:  # Disabled until it works on SCO and HPUX
:  #AC_SYS_LARGEFILE
:
:As an autoconf maintainer I'd like to fix this.  Can you please

cool.

:explain what's broken on SCO and HPUX?

there are two issues.  first, there were some conversion problems in the
utmp code when using 64-bit off_t.  there's a patch for that.  that is not
an autoconf problem.

next, i have problems with autoconf >=2.50 on hp-ux 11.11.  it will not
complete make check, and it seems very, very slow when building configure.

http://mail.gnu.org/pipermail/bug-autoconf/2001-September/001045.html
i've tried 2.52d and have a similar loop.  i'd like to figure out what's
going on here but haven't had time to dig deeper.

:I'm puzzled by the comment, as AC_SYS_LARGEFILE is a feature
:introduced in autoconf 2.50, whereas openssh-2.9.9p2/configure was
:built with autoconf 2.13.

2.9.9p1 used 2.52 with AC_SYS_LARGEFILE and exposed the utmp bug mentioned
above.

:Anyway, some older GNU software came with implementations of
:AC_SYS_LARGEFILE that had problems on HPUX, but these problems should
:all be fixed in the current autoconf version.  I don't know of any SCO
:problems, but I'd like to have them fixed too, if they're still there.

i'm using the slow and make check failing 2.52 on hp-ux now with the utmp
patch and AC_SYS_LARGEFILE enabled and it appears to be working.