scp and Solaris ACLs

Darren Moffat Darren.Moffat at eng.sun.com
Tue Mar 12 08:08:56 EST 2002

>Has anyone had a problem with scp not retaining ACLs set on the original
>file under Solaris 8?  When I have a file that has ACLs set and I use scp

They won't be preserved because the code to do so doesn't exist.

>or rsync -e ssh to copy the file (local->local or local->remote) the ACLs
>are gone from the copied file(s).  Is this a known issue or am I just
>missing something (a flag for instance) when performing the copy?  Thanks
>in advance for your help.

rcp in Solaris does preserve them but only because it uses a special
version of rcp on both sides.

This only makes sense if the source and destination are both Solaris.
rcp in Solaris works this out by looking for the presence of /usr/lib/sunw,rcp
as the command to run, if it exists (it is actually a link to /usr/bin/rcp) it
knows that acls can be passed.

A similar think would need to be done for scp.  The scp in Solaris 9 does
NOT contain this support.

--
Darren J Moffat