Openssh Failure

Darren Tucker dtucker at zip.com.au
Mon Sep 30 12:15:51 EST 2002

Winston Danjuma NcHamukong wrote:
> "starting /usr/local/openssh/sbin/sshd... Killed
> /etc/init.d/opensshd: Error 137 starting /usr/local/openssh/sbin/sshd...
> bailing."

I would guess that you have 64-bit Solaris, GNU binutils-2.12.1 or
lower, your compiler is using /usr/ccs/bin/ld for linking and you have
GNU strip in your path before /usr/ccs/bin/strip. This combination has a
bug that corrupts binaries when they're stripped (which is done as part
of "make install").

If this is the case you'll see something like the following error duing
the strip operation:

BFD: ./stbAa4B5: warning: allocated section `.interp' not in segment

Attempting to start one of the affected binaries will give:

# /usr/local/sbin/sshd -ddd
/usr/local/sbin/sshd: Cannot find ELF
Killed

and "dmesg" will report something like "Cannot find ^?ELF^A^B^A"

If this is the case, you can:
a) Set your path to include /usr/ccs/bin first, then make distclean and
rebuild.
b) upgrade to binutils-2.13, which has fixed this bug.

--
Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au)
usually comes from bad judgement.