fsh

Damien Miller djm at mindrot.org
Wed Jun 18 08:42:50 EST 2003

Ed Avis wrote:
> Some people suggested fsh as a way of speeding up a build system which
> sshes to different hosts to run jobs in parallel.  fsh is very handy
> but it works by keeping open a *single* connection.  It won't work if
> you want to execute more than one command in parallel on the same
> host.

I have wanted to do a "server mode" for the OpenSSH client for a while.

SSH protocol v.2 allows multiple sessions to run concurrently over a
single TCP connection. We don't support this at present, but some
windows clients do.

We could support this by having the initial ssh client establish a unix
domain socket in a knowable location, to which clients could attach and
reuse the existing connection.

I probably won't have time to work on this for a little while, but
someone else may be interested.

-d