stty: : Operation not supported on transport endpoint

Gert Doering gert at
Wed Sep 24 21:38:10 EST 2003

On Wed, Sep 24, 2003 at 02:37:00PM +0300, Tero Knuutila wrote:
> When I run command:
> 	ssh -f   -L sleep 5
> on my Mandrake I get stty error mentioned on subject line.

Something in your .profile or .bashrc or .kshrc (or whatever script is
executed upon startup of a non-interactive shell) calls "stty".  For
"ssh-with-command" and "scp", this MUST NOT be done, as there is no tty,
and the error message will mess up the protocol.

The error comes from the remote end.

> Also when I run:
> 	[tkn at localhost tkn]$ scp  foobar.txt irixhost
> I get no error message,

Of course.  You're just doing a local copy here, with the destination
*file* named "irixhost".

Gert Doering - Munich, Germany                             gert at
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at