Solaris 8: RSA_padding_check_PKCS1_type_1:block type is not 01

Darren Tucker dtucker at zip.com.au
Wed Apr 21 20:09:07 EST 2004

Flo Gleixner wrote:
> I have a returning problem with one of my sparc Solaris machines. I have a
> Ultra2 with two 296MHz processors. All recent combinations of
> openssh/openssl have a not permanent problem. If i try to connect to the
> machine, i get sometimes these errors:
[snip]
> if i disable one processor (psradm -f 1) then i cannot reproduce the bug!
> I tried sone other single/multiprocessor sparc-machines and i cannot
> reproduce the bug there. I probably have to say, that only tried
> sunfreeware.com packages. At the moment i use:

This is probably faulty hardware.  We have seen problems with a 300MHz
UltraSPARC-II's w/2MB cache.  This includes the "hash mismatch" and
"key_verify failed for server_host_key" errors (although they occurred
infrequently), and it took way too long  (many hours) to generate DSA
host keys (this was consistent).

OpenSSL's "make test" also failed.

The faulty processor had these markings:
date code = 0598
processor wk/yr = 44/97
processor rev 52 made in uk @ d2d

See also: