Solaris 8: RSA_padding_check_PKCS1_type_1:block type is not 01

Darren Tucker dtucker at zip.com.au
Wed Apr 21 21:57:11 EST 2004

Flo Gleixner wrote:
> Thanks! I can fully reproduce the dsa key generation problem on one CPU.
> And yes, if i switch off the good cpu, i cannot login via ssh. But i
> cannot understand that everything else (Solaris, applications ....) run
> without any problem on this faulty CPU. Are there some "incompatible Ultra
> Sparc optimizations" in the openssl code?

Not sure, but probably not.  The problem is probably limited to
little-used instructions (like the 64 bit SPARCv9 multiply and divide
instructions) on some CPUs.  If this is the case, you can configure and
build OpenSSL with "./Configure solaris-sparcv7-gcc" then build OpenSSH
with it ("./configure --with-ssl-dir=...").  This might work better.

> Can i call Sun to replace the cpu or will they say, that this is not a cpu
> but a software problem?

No idea.  All I can say is: if it's a software problem, why does it work
on some CPUs and not others (that are nominally the same)?

--
Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au)
usually comes from bad judgement.