scp man page: source vs. destination

Eric van Gyzen vangyzen at stat.duke.edu
Thu Jul 8 04:13:58 EST 2004

As a fairly experienced Unix user, it's obvious to me that scp copies files
from left to right -- that is, that the last [host:]file on the command line
is the destination.  However, this might not be so obvious to users with
less experience.  It pains me to suggest this, but perhaps the scp man page
should be edited to make this more obvious.  For example, from the [Free]BSD
cp(1) man page:

   SYNOPSIS
        cp [-R [-H | -L | -P]] [-f | -i | -n] [-pv] source_file target_file
        cp [-R [-H | -L | -P]] [-f | -i | -n] [-pv] source_file ...
           target_directory

   DESCRIPTION
        In the first synopsis form, the cp utility copies the contents of the
        source_file to the target_file.  In the second synopsis form, the
        contents of each named source_file is copied to the destination
        target_directory.

Eric

--
Eric van Gyzen                        Sr. Systems Programmer
http://www.stat.duke.edu/~vangyzen/   ISDS, Duke University