ssh wrapper scripts

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Sat Feb 2 03:32:58 EST 2008

On Fri, 1 Feb 2008, Gert Doering wrote:

> A "linux veteran" that is not able to find "-L" in the ssh man page
> won't find a special extra command either.

A simpler solution would be to add more examples to the man page.

When I needed to do this exact thing in a hurry a few weeks ago I
ended up doing a Google search to find a usage example.  I had
started with a quick scan of the man page but didn't find the info.
The examples in the man page didn't cover this topic either, which
was my initial hope.  It was quicker/easier just to do the Google
search and then I had it all running a few seconds later.

If I had plenty of time to read the entire man page I could have
done it that way too, but why not make it easy on people and include
that example as well?

For what it's worth, I'm a "Linux veteran" too, plus BSD and Solaris
and a few others thrown in.  Deriving the proper command-line
switches to any particular command is not hard, but it takes time to
read all the docs and test things.  Add examples to the man page for
this operation and you'll save a lot of people some time.  Same goes
for any other extremely common uses that might not be shown in the
examples.