sftp-server rename and handling of EXDEV

Mike Garrison mcgarr at umich.edu
Thu Feb 14 06:33:49 EST 2008

Greetings,

One of the complaints we've commonly gotten from users is that modern
versions of OpenSSH do not allow users to rename files in AFS across
directories. Since OpenAFS only allows hardlinks in the parent
directory, you can rename in the same directory but not across
directory boundaries.

This is the same behavior when you try to rename across regular
partition boundaries, as a hardlink will fail. I understand that
renaming was changed a while back so it would not be racy, but is
there any reason it shouldn't fall back to a racy rename if EXDEV is
returned?

I know currently that if LINK_OPNOTSUPP_ERRNO is returned, we'll try a
racy rename. Can this be extended to conditions where EXDEV is returned?

--
Mike Garrison