[SOLVED] Excessive delay at ssh connection to remote host

James Moe moe.james at sohnen-moe.com
Tue Oct 6 16:22:14 AEDT 2026


On 2026-09-29 14:57, James Moe wrote:

> Now the prompt has extended to roughly 2 minutes, way beyond my attention span.
> If I do not notice the delayed password response in a timely manner, I must try
> again.
> 
> What may cause the further delay for the password prompt?
>
I have found cause of the delay although the cause is a problem in itself.

The delay is related to processing IPv6 addresses somehow. If I use the "-4"
option for either ssh or sshd, the delay disappears.

The problem host has had IPv6 issues ever since the OS received a major update.
For instance, it has steadfastly refused to use the IPv6 provided by a DHCP6
server (no problem in the old OS); I finally reverted to a fixed IPv6.

ssh has exposed another issue with IPv6, as yet unidentified. It may be as Scott
Fields has indicated: a DNS issue, reverse or otherwise.

Looks like I get to spend some quality time with Wireshark.

-- 
James Moe
moe dot james at sohnen-moe dot com
520.743.3936
Think.


More information about the openssh-unix-dev mailing list