[SOLVED] Excessive delay at ssh connection to remote host

Klaus Ethgen Klaus+ssh at Ethgen.ch
Tue Oct 6 17:49:18 AEDT 2026


Hi,

Am Di den  6. Okt 2026 um  6:22 schrieb James Moe via openssh-unix-dev:
> On 2026-09-29 14:57, James Moe wrote:
> The delay is related to processing IPv6 addresses somehow. If I use the "-4"
> option for either ssh or sshd, the delay disappears.

I already pointed that out one week ago. It was very clear from the
begin.

> ssh has exposed another issue with IPv6, as yet unidentified. It may be as Scott
> Fields has indicated: a DNS issue, reverse or otherwise.

IPv6 is often the case for such troubles. I seen that many times.
Usually, the problem occurs with windows as client but I also seen it
with some Linux distributions.

The reason is that many thinks are auto probed with IPv6 and it fails
most of the time in most networks. Ask your admin to configure IPv6
correctly or switch it off completely to solve such problems.

Gruß
   Klaus
-- 
Klaus Ethgen                                       http://www.ethgen.ch/
pub  4096R/4E20AF1C 2011-05-16            Klaus Ethgen <Klaus at Ethgen.ch>
Fingerprint: 85D4 CA42 952C 949B 1753  62B3 79D0 B06F 4E20 AF1C
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: signature.asc
Type: application/pgp-signature
Size: 728 bytes
Desc: not available
URL: <http://lists.mindrot.org/pipermail/openssh-unix-dev/attachments/20261006/e791ee32/attachment.asc>


More information about the openssh-unix-dev mailing list