[SOLVED] Excessive delay at ssh connection to remote host

Chris Green cl at isbd.net
Tue Oct 6 18:38:32 AEDT 2026


On Mon, Oct 05, 2026 at 10:22:14PM -0700, James Moe via openssh-unix-dev wrote:
> On 2026-09-29 14:57, James Moe wrote:
> 
> > Now the prompt has extended to roughly 2 minutes, way beyond my attention span.
> > If I do not notice the delayed password response in a timely manner, I must try
> > again.
> > 
> > What may cause the further delay for the password prompt?
> >
> I have found cause of the delay although the cause is a problem in itself.
> 
> The delay is related to processing IPv6 addresses somehow. If I use the "-4"
> option for either ssh or sshd, the delay disappears.
> 
Yes, I came across a similar problem a little while ago, I'm sorry I
didn't realise it was what you were seeing too.  In my case it was
because I didn't have IPV6 properly configured on my systems so
outside systems tried to use IPV6 and waited for it to time out before
trying IPV4 and succeeding.

-- 
Chris Green


More information about the openssh-unix-dev mailing list