[SOLVED] Excessive delay at ssh connection to remote host

Frank Bergmann openssh at tuxad.com
Tue Oct 6 23:27:25 AEDT 2026


On Mon, Oct 05, 2026 at 10:22:14PM -0700, James Moe via openssh-unix-dev wrote:
> On 2026-09-29 14:57, James Moe wrote:
> 
> > Now the prompt has extended to roughly 2 minutes, way beyond my attention span.
> > If I do not notice the delayed password response in a timely manner, I must try
> > again.
> > 
> > What may cause the further delay for the password prompt?
> >
> I have found cause of the delay although the cause is a problem in itself.
> 
> The delay is related to processing IPv6 addresses somehow. If I use the "-4"
> option for either ssh or sshd, the delay disappears.

A few months ago I was also facing big delays on a system, sometimes up
to 3 minutes.
Root cause was not IPv6 or DNS but a blocking HWRNG.
Because of possible DoS I removed seeding from this RNG.


More information about the openssh-unix-dev mailing list