scp: write stdout: Broken pipe error (Tru64 UNIX)

John P Speno speno at isc.upenn.edu
Wed Apr 26 06:10:55 EST 2000

On Fri, Apr 14, 2000 at 02:06:59PM -0400, John P Speno wrote:

> Just wanted to follow up on this issue because it's gone away. I've no idea
> what was happening, so I'll blame user headspace error (my own).

And another followup. I'm able to duplicate this at will now and I've
tracked it down somewhat. I'll continue to work on finding the exact
problem after my headache subsides...

Anyway, here's the problem. On the local side, I'm using Openssh 1.2.3
under Tru64 UNIX 5.0. The remote side is Tru64 UNIX 4.0f running ssh
1.2.27.

$ scp dax:3test .
speno at dax's password:
3test                 98% |**************************** |   504 KB    00:00
ETAInterrupted system call
$ Write failed flushing stdout buffer.
write stdout: Broken pipe

And no, my dot files do not produce any output on the remote system.

It works when any of the following are true:

- stderr or stdout are redirected.
- Any descriptor (e.g. FD 6) is redirected to /dev/null.
- scp's -q option is used.
- The file copied is smaller than 512KB in size.
- the scp is run under trace (a truss-like thingy).

So, given the error, and the cases where it works, if you've got some ideas
on how to fix it, please drop me a line. It'll save me some time. Thanks.