scp: write stdout: Broken pipe error (Tru64 UNIX)

John P Speno speno at isc.upenn.edu
Thu Apr 27 04:32:38 EST 2000

On Tue, Apr 25, 2000 at 04:10:55PM -0400, John P Speno wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 14, 2000 at 02:06:59PM -0400, John P Speno wrote:
> >
> > Just wanted to follow up on this issue because it's gone away. I've no idea
> > what was happening, so I'll blame user headspace error (my own).
>
> And another followup. I'm able to duplicate this at will now and I've
> tracked it down somewhat. I'll continue to work on finding the exact
> problem after my headache subsides...

I was able to get a system call trace of the problem in action, but I still
haven't been able to fix it. The trace is here:

http://www.isc-net.upenn.edu/~speno/scp.trace.txt

Everything is running just fine until the SIGALRM is raised to let scp know
it's time to update the progess meter while in a call to read(). This can
be seen towards the end of that trace.

I'm mucking around in clientloop.c, trying to handle EINTR in read()s and
write()s, but I haven't been able to fix anything that way yet.

Thanks to Theo de Raadt for sending some suggestions along.