Hosting openssh's CVS repository

Corinna Vinschen vinschen at redhat.com
Sun Dec 3 22:39:04 EST 2000

Brian Kifiak wrote:

> > It's a pity that this might confuse people.
>
> redhat set it up like this, no?  are they trying to confuse people?
> or maybe it's just for brand recognition.  who knows.
>
> > Please note that sources.redhat.com is a box which is in no way
> > inside of the Red Hat network.
>
> oh?  it's certainly dependant on redhat.com's dns, no?  also,
>
>    http://sources.redhat.com/mission.html
>    "... Red Hat is pleased to provide sources.redhat.com ..."
>
> not to mention the redhat logo on everything in
> http://sources.redhat.com/*.
>
> gee, who'd have thought this was inside redhat's network?

I'm not sure why that sponsoring is a problem. Red Hat pays the T1.
So far so good.

> polluting some (much?) of the userbase by choosing sourceforge (va)
> or sources (redhat) isn't -- in my opinion -- such a great idea.
> (it would pollute because not everyone loves va and redhat.)

However, it was simply an offer. I'm not the person for discussing
politics. If you think sources.redhat.com is a good starting point
for a reliable CVS repository, ok. If not, it's ok, too.

Do whatever you want, but spare the list with endless discussions
about "politics", "name pollution", "bad and ugly companies" and
similar. This is already hit to death on gnu.misc.discuss.

Corinna

Cygwin Developer                                mailto:cygwin at cygwin.com
Red Hat, Inc.
mailto:vinschen at redhat.com