PID file

Andre Lucas andre.lucas at dial.pipex.com
Mon Jan 17 23:11:24 EST 2000

Damien Miller wrote:

8<
> Fixpaths is OK, just the way we use it needs to change a bit.
> Instead of replacing @sysconfdir@ in manpages, etc we need to be
> replacing "/etc/ssh_config".

Ok

> > I guess I didn't count on the man pages changing that often, which
> > in retrospect was probably a mistake.
>
> The problem is not so much the changing, rather that a) we want the
> input files to fixpaths to be identified somehow and b) diff doesn't
> have a nice way of handling renamed files.

Ah, I see what you mean now. It will be simple to have fixpaths write a
different filename and have the Makefile install that. Cleaner, too, now
there is more than one potential install target (troff or preformatted.)

> > Since I haven't seen anyone else jump at the opportunity to provide
> > preformatted manpages, I guess I could do that. Now that I know
> > that you want to avoid heavy diff work, I'll try out the above
> > substitution scheme to see how it flies.
>
> Excellent. How about converting from (for example) sshd.8 to
> sshd.8.out and sshd.8.catman

Fine. Input from OpenBSD filenames, output to whatever we need.

BTW not all systems put administrative manual pages in man/man8. HPUX
uses man1m, for example. It's OK to put them in man8 (and it works just
fine) but putting them in the 'right' directory would be a nice
finishing touch. Not any kind of priority, however.

> > Do you want to do the substitutions from configure, or as a make
> > target?
>
> A makefile target would probably be best.

Ta,
-Andre

-Andre