OpenSSH 2.2.0p1 doesn't detect OpenSSL

Lutz Jaenicke Lutz.Jaenicke at aet.TU-Cottbus.DE
Thu Oct 12 06:33:53 EST 2000

On Wed, Oct 11, 2000 at 02:43:38PM -0400, William Caban wrote:
> Hi all:
>
> I'm trying to compile OpenSSH 2.2.0p1 on an Origin 2000 running Irix
> 6.5.9 and when I run ./configure it didn't detect the OpenSSL libraries.
>
> I compile/install OpenSSL 0.9.6.  The installation was done using prefix
> /usr/local/ssl.  I test the binaries and they are working fine. Then,
> when I try to configure the Openssh
>
>     ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/ssh  --with-ssl-dir=/usr/local/ssl
> or
>     ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/ssl  --with-ssl-dir=/usr/local/ssl
>
> or other options, I just get the message:
>
>     configure: error: Could not find working SSLeay / OpenSSL libraries,
> please install
>
> I add some "echo" on the configure script to see the differents paths it
> is testing and it is testing the correct ones at some point but it
> doesn't detect it.

Pekka Savola already commented on the possibility of an old SSL installation
in the standard path.
This however should not apply here. If there is a not-working OpenSSL,
configure will go on to the next location, which would be the specified one.

Anyway, configure logs everything it does (especially the failures) to
config.log. Please check for the error message when examining /usr/local/ssl.

Best regards,
	Lutz
--
Lutz Jaenicke                             Lutz.Jaenicke at aet.TU-Cottbus.DE
BTU Cottbus               http://www.aet.TU-Cottbus.DE/personen/jaenicke/