OpenSSH 2.2.0p1 doesn't detect OpenSSL

William Caban william at hpcf.upr.edu
Thu Oct 12 07:07:41 EST 2000

Steve VanDevender wrote:

> William Caban writes:
>  > > You shouldn't be using --prefix in that way.  --prefix does not tell
>  > > configure where to find libraries; it tells configure where OpenSSH
>  > > will eventually be installed.
>  >
>  > Yes, I know.  But when I look at the 'configure' script it also test for
>  > possible libraries on that direcotry and anyway, I was doing it to minimize
>  > any possible ($prefix)/lib missmatch, I just want to install it under
>  > /usr/local/ssh.
>  >
>  > > You may also need to add library path flags to your CFLAGS to tell your
>  > > C compiler where to find libraries; i.e.
>  > >
>  > > CFLAGS="-L/usr/local/lib -L/usr/local/ssl/lib" ./configure \
>  > >  --prefix=/usr/local --with-ssl-dir=/usr/local/ssl
>  >
>  > I try this but it is doing the same. Thanks anyway.
>
> In the general case, you need to determine where the OpenSSL includes
> live, and if they are not in the default include path for your compiler,
> add something like "-I/usr/local/ssl/include" to your CFLAGS.
> Similarly, if the OpenSSL libraries are not in the default link path for
> your compiler, you need to add something like "-L/usr/local/ssl/lib" to
> your LDFLAGS.
>
> On some systems (i.e. Digital UNIX with the DEC C compiler) I have the
> best luck with something like this:
>
> CC="cc -I/usr/local/include -L/usr/local/lib" CFLAGS="-O2" ./configure ...
>
> This is because not all configure tests actually pull in CFLAGS, but
> they do pull in your definition of CC.
>
> If you dig around in config.log you might be able to determine which
> configure test is failing and why, and adjust your invocation of
> configure to match.

Actually, thanks for that suggestion, I just look at the config.log and discover
the real error:

 configure:2862: gcc -o conftest -L/usr/local/sshdist/lib
-L/usr/local/sshdist/ssl/lib -I/usr/local/sshdist -I/usr/local/sshdist/ssl
-I/usr/local/sshdist/incl   1219 ld: FATAL 12: Expecting 32-bit objects:
/usr/local/sshdist/lib/libcrypto.a is 64-bit.
  configure: failed program was:

This is happening for all the ssl tests so I have 32-bit binaries fighting with
64-bit binaries.... Nice jungle! Probably I could do it.

Thanks!