so-called-hang-on-exit

Frank Cusack fcusack at fcusack.com
Tue Aug 6 14:48:07 EST 2002

On Tue, Aug 06, 2002 at 08:19:07AM +0800, Damien Mascord wrote:
> So,
>
> You reach a certain timeout, and you get notified of something like:
>
> "Badly written shell processes are running, please hit ~ to force ssh
> connection closure."
>
> Then every end user knows about the "way to close ssh even when shell
> scripts are badly written", and they also get notified of the fact that
> something they did in their session was "wrong", so they can even rectify
> that problem.

Actually, I am fond of the hang-on-exit "bug".  People come to me and
ask why the ssh client doesn't exit and I explain to them how to fix
their shell script cum daemon and they go away happy AND the behavior
is correct.  People only ask me once. :-)  And then they tell their fellow
coworkers, "oh yeah you have to close open fd's dummy, don't you know that?".

So far, I've only found one system tool (ie, not written in-house) that
exercised this bug--rpm.

All that said, I do now have the option on by default.

/fc