ssh 3.1p1 problems on SX-6...

Ben Lindstrom mouring at etoh.eviladmin.org
Mon Jan 6 21:22:43 EST 2003

On Mon, 6 Jan 2003, Manish Kumar Srivastava, Noida wrote:

> Hello,
>
> We are porting openssh-3.1p1 onto SX-6 running on SuperUX.
> We landed into problem when we started running sshd with
> the default encryption settings. As you would have already
> seen on this mailing list.

First off.. I have no clue what SX-6 is.. Nor what hardware it runs on.
Nor how old it may be.  So it would be nice to be clued in on that.  Maybe
even what branch of the UNIX tree it was formed from.

> Basically we are facing two problems (both client and servers
> run on SX):-
>
> 1) If the we use the default encryption algorithm aes128-cbc
>    then we get a Bad Packet length problem on server side.

Don't know.  Most of the time I've seen 'Bad Packet length' it was a
broken OpenSSL.  IIRC in the OpenSSL tree there is a 'make test' that
allows you to see if everything passes.

> 2) If we run the sshd after setting encryption algorithm
>    to say 3des-cbc or aes192-cbc, then everything works fine
>    except for sftp. When we exit from sftp then it hangs in
>    select() called from server_loop2().

My tired and befuddled brain wants to say scream out 'race condition', but
even after skimming your last emails.  I really am not sure off hand.  I
know AIX has oddities under some releases for select().

> Both the problems are posted on the mailing list and both
> recur with the latest version of openssh i.e. 3.5p1 with
> openssl 0.9.6b. Kindly suggest something. We want to fix
> the problems.

I wish I could give you more direct help, but at this point.  I'm not sure
what to even suggest for a starting point.

- Ben