ssh 3.1p1 problems on SX-6...

Wendy Palm wendyp at cray.com
Tue Jan 7 07:07:20 EST 2003

SX-6 is the NEC machine followon to the SX-5.  SuperUX is the OS.
Cray Inc currently provides support for some of these machines in the
US and i have a openssh port of 3.4p1 that runs on one.
we haven't run into this particular problem, so our port must be more
complete than manish's.

be a bit patient and i'll update it to 3.5 and provide our patches for manish to try.

Ben Lindstrom wrote:

> On Mon, 6 Jan 2003, Manish Kumar Srivastava, Noida wrote:
>

>>Hello,
>>
>>We are porting openssh-3.1p1 onto SX-6 running on SuperUX.
>>We landed into problem when we started running sshd with
>>the default encryption settings. As you would have already
>>seen on this mailing list.
>>

> First off.. I have no clue what SX-6 is.. Nor what hardware it runs on.
> Nor how old it may be.  So it would be nice to be clued in on that.  Maybe
> even what branch of the UNIX tree it was formed from.
>

>>Basically we are facing two problems (both client and servers
>>run on SX):-
>>
>>1) If the we use the default encryption algorithm aes128-cbc
>>   then we get a Bad Packet length problem on server side.
>>

> Don't know.  Most of the time I've seen 'Bad Packet length' it was a
> broken OpenSSL.  IIRC in the OpenSSL tree there is a 'make test' that
> allows you to see if everything passes.
>

>>2) If we run the sshd after setting encryption algorithm
>>   to say 3des-cbc or aes192-cbc, then everything works fine
>>   except for sftp. When we exit from sftp then it hangs in
>>   select() called from server_loop2().
>>

> My tired and befuddled brain wants to say scream out 'race condition', but
> even after skimming your last emails.  I really am not sure off hand.  I
> know AIX has oddities under some releases for select().
>

>>Both the problems are posted on the mailing list and both
>>recur with the latest version of openssh i.e. 3.5p1 with
>>openssl 0.9.6b. Kindly suggest something. We want to fix
>>the problems.
>>

> I wish I could give you more direct help, but at this point.  I'm not sure
> what to even suggest for a starting point.
>
> - Ben

wendy palm
Cray OS Sustaining Engineering, Cray Inc.
wendyp at cray.com, 651-605-9154