Testing of recent commits

Corinna Vinschen vinschen at redhat.com
Wed Nov 19 20:44:26 EST 2003

On Tue, Nov 18, 2003 at 03:43:31PM +0100, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 18, 2003 at 10:45:26PM +1100, Damien Miller wrote:
> > There have been a few recent commits to portable OpenSSH that require
> > testing. It would be appreciated if you could grab the 20031118 (or
> > later) snapshot and give it a try on your platforms of choice.
>
> I had no time to build latest openssh from CVS for a few weeks now
> and, unfortunately, a change from last month results in not being
> able to build on Cygwin:
>
> 20031015
>     - (dtucker) [acconfig.h configure.ac dns.c openbsd-compat/getrrsetbyname.c
>       openbsd-compat/getrrsetbyname.h] DNS fingerprint support is now always
>       compiled in but disabled in config.
>
> The problem is that this change requires a system to have the
> DNS query functions and header files arpa/nameser.h and resolv.h
> which are not available on Cygwin.  There exists an implementation
> but it's not part of Cygwin so far.

FYI, it's a resolver library called minires.  I've build and installed it
on my system and with a one-line-patch to configure.ac, OpenSSH builds
fine on Cygwin without having to back out the above patch.  I'm now trying
to get minires into the Cygwin distribution so that OpenSSH can rely on a
resolver lib also on Cygwin.  This will be handled within the next few days.

The current one-line patch necessary is

 *-*-cygwin*)
 	check_for_libcrypt_later=1
-	LIBS="$LIBS /usr/lib/textmode.o"
+	LIBS="$LIBS /usr/lib/textmode.o -lresolv"
	AC_DEFINE(HAVE_CYGWIN)
	AC_DEFINE(USE_PIPES)

since due to the way minires exports the symbols, the current tests for
libresolve in configure are failing on Cygwin.  I'm talking about this
with the minires developer first, so a patch can wait for a while.

Corinna

--
Corinna Vinschen
Cygwin Developer