User unable to log into Solaris when password has been expired by root

Manton, Doug dmanton at emea.att.com
Thu Oct 2 22:10:58 EST 2003

I have a question.

Our process for creating a new user account on our Solaris systems is to
force expire (passwd -f) the user's password so they have to chose their own
when they log in.  However, since building OpenSSH 3.7.1p2 I find that new
users are unable to log in with the following syslog messages:

  Oct  2 12:37:42 hostname sshd[1754]: User tester password has expired
(root forced)
  Oct  2 12:37:42 hostname sshd[1754]: Failed none for illegal user tester
from 10.10.67.135 port 33595 ssh2
  Oct  2 12:37:45 hostname sshd[1754]: Failed password for illegal user
tester from 10.10.67.135 port 33595 ssh2

What is the rationale behind this behaviour?  It's not like I have locked
the account -- how can I ensure my new users get access?  Can I simply
modify the test in auth.c or is there a 'proper' way to achieve the desired
behaviour?

Many thanks,
---
Doug Manton, Managed Security Services
AT&T Business, Building 6000 Langstone Technology Park, Havant, United
Kingdom

This message and any attachments to it contain business information
exclusively intended for the recipients. Do not forward or distribute it to
anyone else. If you have received this e-mail in error, please reply to
dmanton at emea.att.com to report the error and then delete this message from
your system.

Registered in England, Branch No. BR004993, the UK branch of AT&T Global
Network Services (UK) B.V., a limited liability company registered in the
Netherlands.