pam_krb5 errors on OpenSSH3.6.1p2

Quellyn Snead quellyn at lanl.gov
Fri Oct 3 09:39:47 EST 2003

A few weeks ago, we upgraded our Red Hat 7.3 and 9 machines to OpenSSH
3.6.1p2 w/ the corresponding version of Simon's GSSAPI patch.

All the expected functionality seems to be there: I can ssh/scp/sftp via
Kerberos tickets or local password. However, I seem to be getting a new
error message in my logs:

For Red Hat 7.3:

Message from syslogd at gallifrey at Thu Oct  2 17:24:12 2003 ...
gallifrey sshd[1758]: pam_krb5: authenticate error: Input/output error
(5)

And On Red Hat 9:

Message from syslogd at k9 at Thu Oct  2 13:13:17 2003 ...
k9 sshd[25855]: pam_krb5: authenticate error: Preauthentication failed
(-1765328360)

This occurs whether I am using a Kerberos ticket to get in or simply
trying local password.
It seems to be a spurious (?) message, as I am always authenticated each
time, but it sure is fattening up my logs.

Anybody else see this problem, perchance?

Quellyn L. Snead
UNIX Effort Team ( unixeffort at lanl.gov )
CCN-2 Enterprise Software Management Team
Los Alamos National Laboratory
(505) 667-4185		Schedule B