problem with INSTALL file

steev hise steev at detritus.net
Fri Oct 17 02:32:09 EST 2003

I'm reporting a problem with documentation for openssh 3.7 portable.

In the INSTALL file it says in the configure section:

--with-md5-passwords will enable the use of MD5 passwords. Enable this
if your operating system uses MD5 passwords without using PAM.

The above verbage implies that if you use PAM there's no need to use the
--with-md5-passwords option.
This, I have discovered, is not true, at least on Redhat linux systems.
When using PAM and MD5 passwords,
you must use the above configure option AND the --with-pam option.  If
you don't, you won't be able to login using password authentication....

so, this wording should be changed to avoid further confusion and pain....

thanx,

Steev Hise
steev at detritus.net