problem with INSTALL file

Darren Tucker dtucker at zip.com.au
Fri Oct 17 16:31:47 EST 2003

steev hise wrote:

> I'm reporting a problem with documentation for openssh 3.7 portable.
>
> In the INSTALL file it says in the configure section:
>
> --with-md5-passwords will enable the use of MD5 passwords. Enable this
> if your operating system uses MD5 passwords without using PAM.
>
> The above verbage implies that if you use PAM there's no need to use the
> --with-md5-passwords option.
> This, I have discovered, is not true, at least on Redhat linux systems.

Good point.  It used to be true when PAM was only a compile-time option,
but as you've discovered it isn't any more.  I will change that paragraph
to read:

--with-md5-passwords will enable the use of MD5 passwords. Enable this
if your operating system uses MD5 passwords.  The resulting binary will
support both MD5 and traditional crypt type passwords.

	Thanks,
		-Daz.

--
Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au)