ssh-agent and rdist

Stephen Walton stephen.walton at csun.edu
Sat Oct 18 08:24:17 EST 2003

Hi,

I'm having a real difficulty here, and I'll keep this very short;  ask
for needed details.  I've got two nearly identically configured RedHat 8
systems, call them A and B.  I've generated keys with passphrases on
both, added the public key for B to ~/.ssh/authorized_hosts on A and
vice versa.

On either machine, I can use ssh-agent with no problems. In particular,
if I run 'rdist -P /usr/bin/ssh -c testdir myname at B' on A, no passphrase
is requested.  But the similar command issued on B to try to connect to
rdistd on A always asks for a passphrase.  This breaks parallel rdist
updates.  Oddly, if I manually do 'ssh -l myname A rdistd -S' on B,
rdistd starts fine.

ssh_config and sshd_config are identical on A and B.
--
Stephen Walton <stephen.walton at csun.edu>
Dept. of Physics & Astronomy, Cal State Northridge