Bus Error with OpenSSH 3.7.1p2 on Solaris 8, SPARC 64-bit

Thomas Baden lindysandiego at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 22 03:41:57 EST 2003

I do my compilations with the Forte C compiler on
Solaris 8 hardened with YASSP.

The best I can determine is that when compiling 64-bit
Sparcv9 code, a LONG is 64-bits.  On the other hand,
Mode_T appears to be a 32-bit value.  So when doing a
scanf of a long, the code was assuming that a mode_t
and a long are the same size.  The patch which Darren
sent steps around this issue by letting session.c read
a long, and then casts that to mode_t when the value
is referenced.

Cheers,
-Thomas