column width and xterms

Darren Tucker dtucker at zip.com.au
Sun Aug 29 20:05:10 EST 2004

Eric Wertman wrote:
> In the last few versions of openssh (3.7.1p1, 3.8p1, and 3.9) I've had an
> interesting problem with the window scaling on AIX.  The line will start to
> wrap regardless of what that actual width of my terminal window is.  I've
> mostly been using Darren Tucker's packages, but since I've been annoyed by
> the problem for a while, I decided to try and compile my own... and I find
> the same problem that way.  Seems to be the same on AIX 4.3.3ml10 and AIX
> 5.2ml02 (and 03).
>
> Anyone seen this, or know of a fix?

Is that logging in to an AIX box, or logging into another box from an
AIX client?

I've heard of that when the OS (I think it was Debian but I could be
wrong) doesn't set the width properly before you run ssh.  Does the
problem persist if you run "stty cols 80 rows 25" on the client before
running ssh?  What about resizing the window?

--
Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au)
usually comes from bad judgement.