Change request For OpenSSH 3.8p1

Ben Lindstrom mouring at etoh.eviladmin.org
Sat Feb 28 14:42:14 EST 2004

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004, John Davidorff Pell wrote:

> Who are you, and why do you think you get to decide this? Why are you
> so against threads? Is there some good reason, or are you just afraid
> of them?

You definitely have never had any contact with OpenSSH team nor read any
of the release notes.  The more important question from our side of the
fence is "Who the hell are you, and who says you get to force crap on us?"

Let me give you an URL hint about how Damien Miller is:

		http://www.openssh.com/history.html

As for your question about threads.  It has been discussed before on this
list.  MARC will have the complete conversation, but if my memory serves
me right it boils down to the fact a correct solution can be done without
threads, and implementing threading in OpenSSH adds edge cases and more
unpredictable library code.

Threads add a whole new level of race conditions, and therefor should be
avoided at all cost when it comes to 'retrofitting' applications.

- Ben