hpnssh v ssh performance in local area networks

Chris Rapier rapier at psc.edu
Sat Apr 29 05:41:56 EST 2006

More results using more variables and different combinations of
endpoints are available at

http://www.psc.edu/networking/projects/hpn-ssh/results.html

Basic conclusion is that in local area networks HPNSSH is as fast or, in
some situations, faster that the stock version of OpenSSH. I'll be
focusing on some of the more interesting results (doing 1000 iterations
instead of just 100) and seeing if these conclusions are justified or
what, if any, qualifiers are necessary.

If anyone would like to try this out for themselves the test script and
the analysis script are available at
http://www.psc.edu/networking/projects/hpn-ssh/iterate.pl
http://www.psc.edu/networking/projects/hpn-ssh/ssh-stats.pl

I'd really like to get more data in terms of different OSes, network
speeds, latencies and so forth.

The most recent beta version of the patch is available at
http://www.psc.edu/networking/projects/hpn-ssh/hpn12v5.diff.gz

Usage notes can be found here
http://www.psc.edu/networking/projects/hpn-ssh/ssh-hpn12.notes

Thanks!