Stange sshd problem... bug?

Chris Rapier rapier at psc.edu
Thu Jul 13 03:36:11 EST 2006

Pedro Bezunartea Lopez wrote:
> That did it! Thanks a lot! The thing is that my linux client box won't be
> using window scaling, right? That will make certain connections, or should
> I say large information transfers slower? I can live with that for this
> machine.

Yes, you'll effectively be limited to window scale of 0 which puts your
maximum buffer at 64k. You won't see a problem unless your bandwidth
delay product (BDP) exceeds that value. You can determine your BDP by
multiplying the bandwidth by the round trip time.

> I should also say that this affects to all connections, not just ssh.

Yes. This will impact all of your connections.

> Thanks again for your help! let's hope the kernel folks can fix this soon...

Well, its not something that the linux kernel people need to fix. In
fact, having this problem come up is probably a good thing as it will
spur people to fix the problems in the intermediate boxes.