ssh-keyscan exits in mid-way

ponraj tryponraj at gmail.com
Wed Jul 19 14:34:57 EST 2006

I digged up this problem further and find my results below.

ssh-keyscan ignores the hosts if they are not up or sshd is not running
when used with -f <file> option. But when it encounters any error while
retrieving the host key from the machine which is up and have sshd running,
it simply exits. This may happen due to transport layer implementation in
packet.c at packet_read_poll_seqnr() which results in exiting.

My guess is that as packet.c is utilised by all OpenSSH utilities
including ssh-keyscan, we can't make ssh-keyscan to continue with
remaining hosts as specified in -f <files> in case of an error. But I also
vote for atleast
documenting this one.

regards,
M.P