ssh-keyscan exits in mid-way

Damien Miller djm at mindrot.org
Wed Jul 19 14:53:47 EST 2006

On Wed, 19 Jul 2006, ponraj wrote:

> I digged up this problem further and find my results below.
>
> ssh-keyscan ignores the hosts if they are not up or sshd is not
> running when used with -f <file> option. But when it encounters any
> error while retrieving the host key from the machine which is up and
> have sshd running, it simply exits. This may happen due to transport
> layer implementation in packet.c at packet_read_poll_seqnr() which
> results in exiting.
>
> My guess is that as packet.c is utilised by all OpenSSH utilities
> including ssh-keyscan, we can't make ssh-keyscan to continue with
> remaining hosts as specified in -f <files> in case of an error. But I
> also vote for atleast documenting this one.

ssh-keyscan could probably do with a cleanup_exit() implementation
that looks at nonfatal_fatal, like its fatal() implmenetation does.
This would obviously need to be done carefully.

By the way, when you report problems please include debug traces. Saying
that "ssh-keyscan exits in mid-way" doesn't give enough information
for anyone to help you. Posting a debug trace from "ssh-keyscan -vvv"
would.

-d