New Version of HPN-SSH Patch

Chris Rapier rapier at psc.edu
Fri Mar 17 06:50:08 EST 2006

[NB: General information regarding HPN-SSH can be found at
http://www.psc.edu/networking/projects/hpn-ssh ]

This is a beta release of HPN12 but I'd like to get some user
experiences with it if anyone is so inclined. This version of the HPN
patch more closely conforms to the openssh nomenclature and coding
style, it eliminates the use of command line switches in favor of -o
options, it allows the user to enable or disable tcp receive buffer size
polling (for non-autotuning systems), allows the user to change the tcp
buffer on a per connection basis thereby overriding the system tcp
receive buffer up to the buffer maximum, and incorporates the none
cipher switch. The none cipher switch  allows the user to switch to the
none cipher after the authentication takes place. As such,
authentication is still fully encrypted.

This is a beta release. I've not fully tested it with the new tunneling
options that were introduced in 4.3. Also, I'm still trying to figure
out some performance issues in LAN transfers (reports of up to a 30%
performance hit in some circumstances). So until that is resolved this
will be a beta.

The patch can be found at
http://www.psc.edu/networking/projects/hpn-ssh/openssh-4.3p2-hpn12.diff

Usage notes can be found at
http://www.psc.edu/networking/projects/hpn-ssh/ssh-hpn12.notes

As always, comments, criticism, bug fixes, and the like are greatly
appreciated. I'll answer any questions as best I can.

Chris Rapier