Installation difficulties

Corinna Vinschen vinschen at redhat.com
Thu Dec 20 02:28:11 EST 2007

On Dec 18 14:04, Glissman, Cecily A wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to install openssl-0.9.8 for my linux emulator, Cygwin.
>
> There is a file named config in the directory.  When I execute,
> ./config, I get the following output:

First of all, you don't need to build from source.  The latest OpenSSL
version 0.9.8g is available as part of the Cygwin net distribution:

  http://cygwin.com/cgi-bin2/package-grep.cgi?grep=openssl

Second, the right way to create the OpenSSL package for Cygwin from
source is to run the util/cygwin.sh shell script from the openssl
toplevel source dir.

> Then the complaint:
>
> 'make' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable
> program or batch file.

This has nothing to do with OpenSSL.  You either don't have make
installed, or your PATH environment variable doesn't point to the Cygwin
/bin directory.  When using Cygwin anyway, I also wouldn't run this from
cmd.exe.  Start a POSIX shell like bash or tcsh.  Bash is what you get
automatically when running the cygwin.bat batch file.  Everything you
need is part of the Cygwin net distro, really.

Since all of this is rather Cygwin distro related than OpenSSL related,
you should send subsequent mails to the cygwin AT cygwin DOT com mailing
list instead of here.  I've set the Reply-To accordingly.

Corinna

Red Hat