Incorporating code from sftp-glob.c into lftp

Damien Miller djm at mindrot.org
Wed Nov 21 17:14:17 EST 2007

On Tue, 20 Nov 2007, warren smith wrote:

> As you might know, LFTP is a popular FTP/SFTP command-line client for
> most systems. One feature that is lacking from this tool is the
> ability to do a globbed ls via sftp. I have a patch ready for LFTP
> that incorporates some of the knowledge [like oddball systems glob()
> handling] and some of the code from sftp-glob.c for this tool to add
> this capability. I do, however, have some questions about license
> issues before I submit the patch to the lftp developers. LFTP is GPL
> licensed, and openssh is BSD licensed. Is it kosher to incorporate the
> code into lftp or should I start over from a clean room
> implementation?

The license (MIT) that the sftp client code is released under does not
prohibit incorporation into a GPL project and does not contain any terms
that are incompatible with the GPL, so there is no reason to reimplement.

You just need to make sure that you follow the terms of the license by
preserving the license & copyright notice in whichever files you
incorporate code to.

-d