Outgoing IP of forwarded requests

Bob Proulx bob at proulx.com
Sun Jul 4 07:07:07 EST 2010

k k wrote:
> I have a linux server with 3 public IPs, and I use SSH tunnelling to
> connect to each of them.  Let's call them: 1.1.1.1 (venet0:0),
> 1.1.1.2 (venet0:1), 1.1.1.3 (venet0:2).

Okay.  A server with multiple public IP addresses.  A common
situation.

> When I tunnel using 1.1.1.1, outgoing IP for the public is: 1.1.1.1.
> But when I tunnel using 1.1.1.2 or 1.1.1.3, the outgoing IP for the
> public is still 1.1.1.1.

I don't understand what you are trying to say here.  What is the
"outgoing IP"?  Are you saying that when you ssh to 1.1.1.2 that the
TCP IP packets returning come from 1.1.1.1?  That is what your words
say when I read them.  And that doesn't make any sense.  Because if so
then I suspect that the connection would fail and you wouldn't be able
to complete the connection.  Therefore you must be meaning something
else but I can't guess what that would be.

> According to the manuals of ss5 (SOCKS5 Server) and squid (HTTP
> Server) - they're both capable of using the outgoing IP while
> specifying the inbound IP route relation.

Huh?  What?  Huh?  Of course ssh includes a -D option to support socks
port forwarding.  But what does squid have to do with it?  Is this
related to your problem?  What problem are you having?

> openssh can't do it? nor there's a indirect workaround to achieve
> said behavior?

Can't do what?  What are you trying to do?  Please just show us the
command that you are running and tell us what it is doing.

Bob