Transferring file to local machine when SSHing into a foreign box

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Mon May 14 23:38:47 EST 2012

On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 2:23 PM, Gert Doering <gert at greenie.muc.de> wrote:
> If you're just talking about from-local-to-remote, one thing that comes
> to mind is "an evil remote host stealing your local files without your
> doing".
>
> So while I can understand the convenience factor of this, making it
> properly secure (like "only operate out of a well-defined quarantaine
> folder on local-host, and do not permit absolute or relative path names
> with '..' in them") are likely ging to make this inconvenient enough
> to then not-use it...

Actually, I personally am most interested in the remote-to-local bit
and that is all that has been discussed so far.

I agree that the local-to-remote feature would be nice as well, but
with the necessity that the remote side is initiating, I agree that it
could be problematic. How about only initiating a transfer on the
remote side, but having the local side decide which file. Like this:

me at local:~$ ls
file1 file2
me at local:~$ ssh anotherMe at remote
anotherMe at remote:~$ ls