SSH from within OpenSSH

Hussain Akbar hussainakbar at gmail.com
Fri Jan 11 16:54:47 EST 2013

Angel

See my replies below:

On Fri, Jan 11, 2013 at 3:26 AM, Ángel González <keisial at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 10/01/13 12:35, Hussain Akbar wrote:
> > Today, I tried OpenSSH. I installed it on the W2K server in LAN A.
> You installed the OpenSSH ssh *server* ? Where did you get it from?
>
>  I downloaded it from SourceForge. Don't recall precisely where, but I
think it was from
http://sourceforge.net/projects/sshwindows/files/OpenSSH%20for%20Windows%20-%20Release/

> > Then I used PuTTY from my Laptop to W2K. Got the DOS prompt. One thing I
> > notice is that if I press any cursor key, W2K takes that to be a control
> > character. i.e. Pressing cursor and hitting enter gives and error: *'
> > command not found*. Yes, there is a single quote at the start.
> Yes, something seems to be wrong. Have you played with the different
> options on PuTTY config? You don't have W2000 in an odd locale, do you?

The Windows server is configured as US English.

> > Next, I used plink to connect to a Linux server on LAN B.
> >
> > Issues:
> > At signin, the last character seems to get missed. So if I type "root" as
> > userid I get prompted for the password for "roo", so I typed "rootA".
> Same
> > thing with the password, so I had to type and extra character after it to
> > sign in.
> Does it happen if you directly run plink from the remote desktop?
> That would isolate it to the running of commands on W2K.

Yes, I am running plink from the laptop.

> > The cursor key still doesn't work, or works intermittently. e.g. in VIM I
> > have to press one cursor key and then hit the space bar, etc.
> >
> > There appears to be some ANSI conversion going on and on the Linux
> command
> > line I get messages such as &0a not found. Sometimes it gets stuck in a
> > loop printing such messages by the hundred.
> >
> > Help?
> As a workaround, you could make a ssh tunnel (SSH/Tunnels). That way the
> W2000 machine won't be processing your commands in any way (actually,
> it could even have a keylogger installed, and it won't matter at all).

My first try was to make an SSH tunnel. Have been trying all sort of
combinations in PuTTY but can't figure out how. The ultimate aim would be
to not be forced to get an interactive session on the Windows server at all
but go directly to the Linux server.

I tried what things I could in PuTTY's tunnel options, but no joy so far.

I posted this to various newsgroups but from the feedback I've been
getting, most people say it can't be done.

> Still, it would be nice that it worked (even though Windows 2000 is well
> beyond its End Of Life...).

Actually, not Windows 2000, but Windows 2003 Server.