Call for testing: OpenSSH 7.4

Masud Rahman masud.s.rahman at gmail.com
Mon Dec 19 18:08:34 AEDT 2016

On 1
​4​
December 2016 at
​11​
:
​53​
, <
​djm​
@mindrot.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> OpenSSH 7.4 is almost ready for release, so we would appreciate testing
> on as many platforms and systems as possible. This release contains some
> substantial new features and a number of bugfixes.
>
> Snapshot releases for portable OpenSSH are available from
> http://www.mindrot.org/openssh_snap/
>
> The OpenBSD version is available in CVS HEAD:
> http://www.openbsd.org/anoncvs.html
>
> Portable OpenSSH is also available via anonymous CVS using the
> instructions at http://www.openssh.com/portable.html#cvs or
> via Git at https://anongit.mindrot.org/openssh.git/ or via a
> mirror at Github: https://github.com/openssh/openssh-portable
>
> Running the regression tests supplied with Portable OpenSSH does not
> require installation and is a simply:
>
> $ ./configure && make tests
>
> Live testing on suitable non-production systems is also
> appreciated. Please send reports of success or failure to
> openssh-unix-dev at mindrot.org.
>
> Below is a summary of changes. More detail may be found in the ChangeLog
> in the portable OpenSSH tarballs.
>
> Thanks to the many people who contributed to this release.

Tested:
 * git commit
4a354fc2
​ from master of github's mirror of openssh-portable
 * on macOS Sierra
 using LibreSSL 2.4.4

Outcome:
 * successfully built
 * all tests passed

Live testing:
 * connected to Linux amd64 host running sshd 7.3p1:
   * passphrase-protected ed25519 client key + certificate
   * ed25519 host key + certificate
   * chacha20-poly1305 cipher

I note that clang (Apple LLVM version 8.0.0 (clang-800.0.42.1)) warned
about the unused '-pie' flag supplied as a linker argument:

    clang: warning: argument unused during compilation: '-pie

Summary output of the configure script is included at the end for reference
(note that 'gcc' is an alias for 'clang' on this platform).

Regards,
Masud.

OpenSSH has been configured with the following options:
                     User binaries: /usr/local/bin
                   System binaries: /usr/local/sbin
               Configuration files: /usr/local/etc
                   Askpass program: /usr/local/libexec/ssh-askpass
                      Manual pages: /usr/local/share/man/manX
                          PID file: /var/run
  Privilege separation chroot path: /var/empty
            sshd default user PATH:
/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/local/bin
                    Manpage format: doc
                       PAM support: no
                   OSF SIA support: no
                 KerberosV support: no
                   SELinux support: no
                 Smartcard support:
                     S/KEY support: no
              MD5 password support: no
                   libedit support: no
  Solaris process contract support: no
           Solaris project support: no
         Solaris privilege support: no
       IP address in $DISPLAY hack: no
           Translate v4 in v6 hack: no
                  BSD Auth support: no
              Random number source: OpenSSL internal ONLY
             Privsep sandbox style: darwin

              Host: x86_64-apple-darwin16.3.0
          Compiler: gcc
    Compiler flags: -g -O2 -Qunused-arguments -Wunknown-warning-option
-Wall -Wpointer-arith -Wuninitialized -Wsign-compare -Wformat-security
-Wsizeof-pointer-memaccess -Wno-pointer-sign -Wno-unused-result
-fno-strict-aliasing -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -ftrapv -fno-builtin-memset
-fstack-protector-strong -fPIE
Preprocessor flags: -I/usr/local/opt/libressl/include
      Linker flags: -L/usr/local/opt/libressl/lib  -fstack-protector-strong
-pie
         Libraries: -lcrypto -lz  -lresolv
         +for sshd:  -lsandbox